As somebody who loves to travel independently, and relishes something a little bit different, Airbnb is the first app I open when I start to plan my adventures! I absolutely love it! There are so many reasons why I think it’s a travellers best friend that I struggled to limit my list to just 10 reasons why you should think about using Airbnb to book accommodation for your next holiday
How I discovered Airbnb
Myself and Mr Challenge stumbled across Airbnb quite accidentally about two years ago now.
Mr Challenge had been invited to a birthday party a couple of hours drive away from where we live and decided at the very last minute that he was going to go (literally on the day!) However he had no accommodation.
I started to look for a reasonably priced hotel or B&B for him to stay, but I just couldn’t find anything. Everything was costing £100 and upwards a night.
It turned out that the party, which was in a university town was being held the weekend that the academic year finished. So, the town was fully booked up with parents moving their offspring home for the summer. Disaster.
I started to look to see if there was any kind of alternative and that was when I found Airbnb. I booked Mr Challenge a room in a young couple’s house and it was just around the corner from the party. Perfect.
What exactly is AirBnB?
Airbnb is essentially an online market place that allows hosts to advertise their living space and travellers to find places to stay.
It all began almost ten years ago when (as the Airbnb website explains) ‘Two designers who needed rent money and had space to share, hooked up with three travellers looking for affordable lodging. Today, more than 3 million active Airbnb listings are available across 191 countries, including 65,000 cities and countries.(Feb 2017)’
So you can see that it’s pretty popular.
I admit, it might not be for everyone. Some people feel really uneasy at the thought of staying in a ‘strangers home’, but honestly it just isn’t like that.
We have stayed in places all over the UK and in Europe and our hosts have been really lovely. We’ve pretty much been left to our own devices and been provided with some lovely breakfasts! What’s not to love?
Here’s 10 reasons why you should think about using Airbnb to book accommodation for your next holiday!
- It is often significantly cheaper than traditional holiday accommodation options. You can book last minute and it isn’t any more expensive!
- There is a huge amount of choice in terms of type of accommodation, cost, locations, level of interaction with hosts. Seriously, you can book a night on someones sofa, all the way through to luxurious villas that sleep 16!
- There are some amazingly unique properties, treehouses, beach huts, boats, train carriages, hobbit houses, glamping pods, yurts…
- You can find dog and child friendly accommodation quickly and easily.
- You get to meet ‘local people’ who are a wealth of information about where to go, what to see and do. Giving you the lowdown on all those little gems that you won’t find in a guidebook or on the internet!
- Hosts and guests are fully vetted and verified through Airbnb’s vetting procedure. This includes providing identity and financial documentation to prove you are who you say you are!
- The reviews give you a good idea of what you can expect from your accommodation and your host
- The app makes it super easy to search for exactly what you want, book and communicate with your host. All costs are clearly detailed and nothing is hidden.
- There is 24 hour support from Airbnb should anything go wrong
- Airbnb manages all of the financial aspects of your stay. Hosts don’t get paid until after your stay, and if something isn’t right you can apply for a refund.
If you fancy giving it a go, as a regular user of Airbnb I have a discount code for new users, if you sign up using this link. You will receive £25 off of your first booking, and when you have completed your first stay I will receive £15 credit. Win win!
Here are some more money saving holiday hacks!
Where will you go first?!